At least once a month I sit down and take a look at my goals for the upcoming month and quarter. I used to look at my goals a year at a time, but after reading the 12-Week Year, I’ve found new ways to look at my goal setting.
Setting clear, concise goals is extremely important whether it be in your business or personal life. Without them you will move forward without direction, eventually causing your business and personal life to stagnate.
“In absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily actions of trivia.” ~Source unknown
Clear goals can give you tremendous momentum and intense purpose in your life.
Here are five tips to help define clear goals in your business and personal life:
- Know what you want to achieve:
If you don’t know where you’re going, you won’t be able to create a plan to get you there. Take a hard look at your future:
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Take the time to set down and brainstorm your long-term dreams and desires
- Create a timeline. This will help to prevent procrastination and keep you motivated and moving forward in order to meet your goals.
- Come up with goals that you want to meet in a month, year, and even five or ten years from now
- Make a plan that will keep you on track; however, don’t etch your plan into stone! Allow for changes along the way, but keep your eye on the main goal.
- Make sure your goals are realistic. This will help you keep from being stressed by a goal that you can’t reach.
- Break your long-term goals into small, achievable action steps. Reaching multiple steps along our journey will give you a feeling of accomplishment and motivate you to continue.
- Be specific. Be as detailed as possible about the goals that you want to achieve.
- Specific goals allow you to form your timeline and definite your action steps. There’s no guesswork involved when dealing with specifics.
- For example, make more money with your business is a vague goal. Come up with a specific goal, such, as, “I will make $1,000 more per month, three months from today.” This goal is specific, measurable, and realistic.
- Tweak your goals. Your goals are likely to change as your life changes. As your life changes, you’ll be able to make your goals more specific, realistic, and achievable.
- It’s okay to refine your goals several times in your life (and more often if necessary!) What’s important now, might not be as important to you six months or six years from now. Be willing to accept change. Revisit your goals from time to time and make new plans if necessary.
Some people flounder through life, unsure of their purpose or what they want to achieve. Don’t let this be you!
Your life will have clear meaning if you put some thought into what’s important to you, what goals you want to achieve, and what actions to take to make your dreams a reality.